I made this ghee rice in an electric rice cooker,I feel rice cooker is a good investment. all I have to do is put the rice in along with water and close and it will tell me when the rice is done.you can go ahead and use a regular vessel, preferably a thick bottom vessel.
- 3 cups basmati rice ( washed and soaked)
- 3 onion medium (finely sliced)
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 4 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaves
- 10 cashew nut
- salt to taste
- 5 cups water
* In a pan add ghee (please don't be stingy with ghee,the dish is named 'GHEE rice' for a reason), when the ghee is hot add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. fry for few seconds,then add sliced onions and fry till slightly brown, now add cashew nuts and drained basmatic rice. Stir for 2 minutes. Add water and salt, I don't like the rice to be overcooked, so I put 5 cups of water to 3 cups rice(its your preference)
* cook on very low flame till the water has evaporated.
* serve ghee rice with any kind of curry.