pundi is authentic mangalorean dish, it is steamed rice balls served with kori ghassi. The original pundi is prepared with brown rice,brown rice has to be soaked overnight,since brown rice is hard compared to white rice,its a little harder to grind. In this recipe the pundi is prepared with white rice and its an easier version.
- 2 cups white rice (dosa rice)
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1tsp salt
- Wash and soak the rice in water for little less than two hours.
- Grind the rice along with coconut ,water and salt in a mixer.grind coarsely ,it should be of dosa batter consistency.
- Transfer this batter in to a thick bottom vessel and cook on medium flame till the water evaporates and you are left with a lump,this should not be too dry, you should be able to form rice balls
- Apply ghee to your hand and make big lemon size rice balls.Steam it for 20 minutes
- You will know that the pundi is ready when you wet your hand and touch the pundi and it won't stick to your hands.