Eliappa is a sweet deep fried rice pancake , appa is usually made for pregnant ladies.I remember the last time I had this was when I was pregnant(almost two years back).I would like to thank my granny for making this again for my blog and passing on her recipe to me and from me to you.
Anyone who has met my granny,knows that she specialises in dishes for pregnant ladies and new mothers,I have tasted each and every dish that she has made when i went through that phase,few I liked,few I did not-from eliappa to manara to methe ganji and many more, and eliappa was my favorite.
Print this recipe
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 cup scraped coconut
- 3 tbsp beaten rice (bajile)
- 3/4 cup jaggery (or according to taste)
- pinch salt
- oil for deep frying
- Wash and soak rice and methi (fenugreek seeds)in water for 2 hours.
- wash and soak beaten rice in 5 tbsp water for 2 hours.
- after 2 hours put the coconut and beaten rice in the mixer jar and grind to smooth paste.
- now add rice and fenugreek seeds into the same jar and grind adding little water to a smooth paste.
- Add powdered jaggery and salt into the mixer jar and grind. Adjust jaggery according to your taste.
- The batter should be of dosa batter consistency, transfer to a vessel and let it ferment for 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oil on medium flame and deep fry (as shown in video)