Warm bread butter pudding....perfect dessert for a rainy season.
One more dish I learnt from Babu aunty, she got this recipe from Nigella Lawson's Show.
Recipe source:Nigella Lawson
- 8 tbsp butter(unsalted and softened)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 14 slices bread
- 8 tbsp Jam (of your choice)
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Grease a shallow baking dish with butter.
- make sandwich with the bread by applying butter(keep aside 1 tbsp butter )on one side and jam on the other. Cut the sandwich to 1/2, I cut it in triangles and placed one triangle with the pointed side up and the other down(as seen in the pic). You can arrange it any way you want to.
- Sprinkle raisins on the arranged sandwich.
- Pre heat the oven at 180 degree C.
- Whisk the egg and egg yolks together in a bowl, now add in sugar, milk,. vanilla essence and cream. Whisk till well combined and the sugar is dissolved . Pour this mixture over the prepared sandwich. Press the sandwich with your hands and leave them to soak the liquid for 10 minutes.
- Smear the bread crusts that are pointed out with softened butter and sprinkle demarara sugar over the pudding.
- Place the dish in the pre heated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or till the custard is set and the bread looks golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before you serve.
Note : I would suggest you use a smaller baking dish if you want the bread to be well soaked in the liquid,my baking dish was big because of that the top part of the pudding was crispy and the bottom layer was moist.