I am so happy that I was able to recreate one of my favorite dish, Chicken ghee roast. The first time I had this amazing dish was when I had been to Mangalore few years back. Hotel Abhiman is very famous for its authentic mangalorean cuisine and Ghee roast is their specialty.
I have tried to search for good chicken ghee roast in Bangalore, been to Coastal express, Anupama Coast to Coast, Kudla, Sanadige ..........but never enjoyed ghee roast anywhere. At last found it at Cherie's Kitchen:)
Glad that my family enjoyed it.
Print this recipe
- 1 kg chicken (cut to medium pieces)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup curds/yogurt
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 30 long red chillies (kashmir)
- 8 small red chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 12 to 16 garlic flakes
- cherry size tamarind soaked in 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup ghee
- 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- few curry leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1. Marinate chicken in yogurt/curds, salt , turmeric powder and lemon juice. Refrigerate for 4 hours or more.
2. Meanwhile roast long and small red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorn and fenugreek seeds and grind along with tamarind and garlic to thick and fine paste.
4. To the same pan add remaining ghee and add the masala paste ,fry for 5 to 7 minutes till the raw smell disappears and oil leaves the side of the masala.
5. Now add the fried chicken, salt and 1/2 cup of reserved liquid. Fry for 5 to 7 minutes till the masala dries up.
6. Now add sugar, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
7.Take off flame and serve as appetizer.