Kane Rava Fry is one dish which is very closely associated with Mangalorean Cuisine. You go to any Mangalorean restaurant...you cannot leave without having Kane Rava Fry or Kane Naked fry.
If its fried fish then it has to be Kane fry, its my favorite..and taste best when fried in coconut oil.
We try not to deep fry fish at home...we usually pan fry the fish with little oil...but this fish we shallow fried with 1/2 cup oil. If you notice in Mangalorean Restaurants the Kane fish has a thick coating of rava/ semolina...this is because the fish is deep fried in lot of oil, you can do that too if you want restaurant style Kane Rava Fry.
Print this recipe
- 1 kg kane meen/ ladyfish
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 2 tbsp rice powder (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 cup Rava/ semolina (thick rava)
- Oil to fry (I prefer coconut oil)
- Marinate the cleaned ladyfish in red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice , rice flour and salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a shallow pan (deep pan if you are deep frying). Heat the oil, roll the marinated fish in the rava and fry in oil , till cooked.It will take little less than 8 minutes.
- Remove from oil and place the fish on absorbent paper.
- Serve as appetizer.