This months challenge was Majoon-a famous Sindhi winter dish, I had heard that name for the first time..totally an alien dish to me..when I saw the ingredients and instructions,it seemed pretty simple and the Video on Youtube helped a little....When I was done with the dish and tasted it....it was very similar to milk peda with loads of nuts...it had a nice chunky texture and a I loved the slight crunch of poppy seeds.Whatever little that I know about this dish Majoon......its a winter sweet made in most of the Sindhi household....supposedly had with breakfast and is considered to be an energy bar.
I am not sure if this is how Majoon is supposed to look like...but I tried....its definitely a treat for those whole love milk based sweets.
Recipe source :-Ribbon's to Pasta's
Print this recipe
- 63g Badam(Almond)
- 63g Cashew nuts
- 32g Pistachios
- 32g Dates(chopped)
- 38g Khus Khus (Poppy seeds)
- 125g Sugar
- 570ml Milk
- 125g Khoya
- 100g Ghee
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- Crush the Pistachios, cashew nuts and almond slightly and keep aside.
- Boil milk in an non stick pan ,after it comes to a boil add sugar and dissolve.
- Add chopped dry dates, poppy seeds(khus khus) and khoya.Mix well.
- Cook till the milk mixture reduces to half its volume.
- Now add the crushed nuts,cook on low flame till the milk is evaporated. Do not leave this mixture unattended or it might burn.Stir and keep adding 1 tbsp ghee in regular intervals.
- When the milk dries up and very little moisture is seen, place the pan on a griddle,cover and place weight on the lid,this will help the nuts to cook.
- You will know its done when there is no moisture and the ghee floats up.
- Transfer this mixture into a greased dish and let it set.
- Cut to desired shape and store in the fridge (can be stored for up to 6 months)
- Before serving ,heat 3 tbsp of the majoon with little milk in the microwave.
Spicing your life