Friday, January 6, 2012

Dulce de Leche



This is pure magic, when I opened this tin of condensed milk......I closed my eyes and prayed it would look exactly like how I had hoped it would...........and .......you get to see this amazing color....its just beautiful caramel ....its pure magic.

I wanted to make Dulce de Leche long back and came to know that its usually prepared by immersing the condensed milk tin in water and cooked for 3 hours.......I know ......3 hours....I was like.....forget it.....my mom would just set my head on fire....with all the gas prices shooting up....then I came across Divya's Easycooking blog...where she had used the pressure cooker method....I would not be surprised if it was an Indian who actually came up with this idea.....its just so amazing and time saving....though I did tell everyone to vacate the kitchen......just in case......(just kidding)


Recipe Source:Easycooking
Ingredients
  • 1 tin Condensed Milk
  • Water

Method
  1. Place the condensed milk tin inside a pressure cooker, fill enough water to cover the tin.
  2. Cover with lid and place the cooker on high flame, when the steam comes place the weight.After the first whistle reduced the heat to low and cook on simmer for 30 minutes.
  3. Take the cooker off the flame and let it cool down to room temperature.
  4. Remove the tin from the cooker and store in the fridge till further use.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I never though it could be so easy.
    I loved reading the lines, esp. where you said that you asked everyone to vacate the kitchen...in case...haha...Pressure Cookers are really threatening! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ever soooo much for this idea!!! All the other dulce de leche recipes I came across, included boiling milk for hours and hours while stirring continuously. I just need a small clarification with the second step here, when u say place the weight, what sort of a weight are you talking about here n do we place it on the lid??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous
    When I said 'Place the weight' ...every pressure cooker comes with a weight,you have to place it on the snout of the cooker when the steam starts to come out.if you want detailed step by step picture description you can visit Divyas easy cooking blog(just click on the link on the post)
    thank you
    charishma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. This may be a very stupid question (I'm new to cooking). Should the tin of condensed milk be open or just placed as it is?
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Cherie, check out edible cook in me -- nags blog. A few days ago she just blogged on how to instead bake it to cook it for ppl scared of cooker method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a short cut method pick up a pie base, use Nestlé dulce tin and then continue :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...