Monday, March 26, 2012

Thai Green Curry Paste


 Almost a year back I had posted Thai green curry- instant recipe on this blog, when I went back to check it out, I just could believe what I had written...it goes like this......"In Thailand its said that , if a girl knows to hand grind green curry paste which consists of 14 odd ingredients, then she is ready to get married. Well I am already married and I don't want to hand grind 14 ingredients. So I am going to use Ready made Green curry paste".........well first ..... I cannot believe I actually said that.....and Second......well ...well.....look who made Thai green curry paste from scratch (not a big deal at all)- though I have to confess....I did cheat....started of with a mortar and pestle....lost patience half way through and finished it of in a blender (how else would you get a fine paste).


OK again a reminder to all the hardcore  Thai food fans.....this green curry paste, just like the Thai red curry paste has been modified to suit the Indian kitchen. The result was more than satisfactory ....a sure winner...so please don't hesitate to try it out....won't be disappointed. 




Ingredients
Print this recipe
Recipe source- Nita Mehta

  • 6-7 Green chillies , deseeded
  • 5-6 Shallots or 1/2 Onion
  • 1 tbsp Garlic , chopped
  • 1/2 inch Galangal or Ginger
  • 1 stick Lemon Grass ,lower portion only, chopped (or rind of 1 lemon)
  • 3 Lemon leaves
  • 1 cup Fresh Basil leaves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 15 Peppercorns
  • 1 tbsp Lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
  • 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp Cumin Seeds


Method
  1. Dry roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds for 2 minutes till aromatic but not browned.
  2. Grind all the ingredients of the curry paste along with roasted seeds in mortar and pestle  or a blender and grind to a fine paste using little water if required.
  3. This paste can be stored in a fridge for up to a week.
  4. Use to make Thai green curry . 

6 comments:

  1. One more classic recipe from u Cherie :) Have tried my hand at making Thai green curry some couple of months ago. Result was awesome, except that the food got over before I could click them :) U have re-inspired me to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green curry looks lovely. I loved that mortar and pestle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too good recipe!
    Loved that write-up, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i commented on the curry post - this was awesome. loved the slightly indianised flavours too. WHERE did you get that mortar and pestle??? i want one just like that!
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi...glad you liked the dish...i got my mortar and pestle from my fathers hometown Bailur which is close to Manipal-Udupi
      charishma

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...