Umm Ali or Om Ali is a very simple rustic Middle Eastern (Egypt) dessert which is more or less similar to bread butter pudding.......which has a pretty violent story behind it....This was supposedly made to celebrate the death of Om Ali (who was beaten to death with slippers by her own handmaids)......keeping all the violence aside........Umm Ali is a very yummy buttery dessert......have to make one more Middle eastern sweet dish which does not have a violent past (wait for my next post)
The original recipe asks for cooked puff pastry sheets....but....making puff pastry at home....no way....... I have used croissants (got the idea from Titli Nihaan)....after all croissants are nicely shaped cooked puffed pastry...Right...
Recipe Source:Titli's busy kitchen
- 4 large Croissants
- 800 ml Milk
- 1/2 cup Almonds ,roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup unsalted Pistachios, roughly chopped
- 170 grams Sugar
- 1/4 cup grated Coconut
- 1/2 cup Cream
- 1tsp Cinnamon powder
- Brown sugar to sprinkle on top
- Mix almonds,pistachios, raisins and 2tbps sugar in a big bowl. Break the croissants into pieces and add to the bowl with nuts and raisins, mix well and transfer into a oven proof dish.
- Add 8 tbsp sugar to the milk and bring to boil.Pour hot milk over the croissants and let it stand for few minutes to soak up the milk.
- Add remaining sugar to the cream and pour on top of the milk soaked croissants to form the top layer.
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder and brown sugar on top.
- Baked in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for 20 minutes or till the top browns.
- Top with chopped pistachios.
- Serve warm or cold.